Thursday, September 8, 2011

Cookbook Recommendations??

Reader help.

I LOVE my cookbooks. I love to sit down with a stack of books and plan my new culinary adventures for dinner parties and lazy weekend days. Some of my favorites are the entire Barefoot Contessa line, Julia Child's Mastering The Art of French Cooking, and anything by Cook's Illustrated.

But I know that I need to branch out a bit too. So when Bon Appetit listed their top 5 cookbooks to amp your cooking ability, my attention was completely grabbed. Here were the ones that most intrigued me.

Ad Hoc at Home
Thomas Keller...enough said.



Think Like a Chef
Before he was judging with Padma, Tom Colicchio was rocking NYC at Gramercy Tavern and his Craft empire. I'm pretty sure he could teach me a thing or two.



The Lutece Cookbook
The original NYC Celebrity chef and ultimate A-List French restaurant. And it was Julia Child's favorite restaurant in the United States. Yum.



But I'd love to know what you all like to use as recipe references. What are your go to books? Which ones taught you the most to make you a better cook?

3 comments:

Natural Momma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natural Momma said...

I just read Ad Hoc (the giant coffee table book version - think I got a little work out too!), though more for the back story and techniques. My go-to of the moment for recipes is The Naptime Chef, though not in book form yet (thenaptimechef.com), it's coming soon! I'm a cookbook collector of sorts, so it's hard to pick just one, but Thomas Keller's books are at the top for sure! If I'm in the mood for Italian, I'm all about Batali.

Elisha said...

You have to get Ad Hoc; my husband and I use it all of the time for special meals like Thanksgiving and birthdays. Another great book is Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Every Day (or really any of her books).