Friday, May 20, 2011

Grilled Cheese Genius

Food.

Isn't it funny how the "simplest" foods can present the biggest challenges? One of my favorite comfort foods is a grilled cheese sandwich...with the perfect golden crust and gooey cheesy center. The problem is that by the time I get my cheese to the proper goo-factor, the outside is normally a wee bit dark for my liking.

Which is why Gabrielle Hamilton of Prune in NYC is a freakin' genius.


photo via palewire on flickr


In this month's Glamour magazine, Gabrielle says that she uses Hellman's mayonnaise instead of butter on the outside of bread when making her grilled cheese. It's more stable than butter and can remain on the pan over medium low heat for longer...allowing for the coveted goo-factor of which I dream.

Thanks, Gabrielle. You rock.

PS. Make sure to pick up a copy of Gabrielle's memoir - Blood, Bones & Butter. So good.

1 comment:

Sécia Mischke said...

Interesting. Not sure how I feel about this but I will keep an open mind and give it a try. I do love grilled cheese oh so much.

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com