Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Smells of Christmas

Potpourri Recipe.

I love the holidays and since it always seems to have come and gone before you can blink an eye, I like to make the most of the few weeks leading up to the big event. One of my favorite things is to have a simmering pot of great smelling citrus fruit and cinnamon sticks on the stove, it gives the apartment a holiday feel.

It is super easy to throw together and I usually make 1 big batch and then use a little at a time throughout the holidays. Although I love the holiday’s, I do not love wrapping presents and always need a little boost to get this process going. Making the whole place smell like the holidays and throwing on some holiday tunes is usually all it takes.



Dried Orange and Lemon slices
Thinly slice citrus fruit and sandwich between paper towels and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and place in a single layer on foil lined baking sheet. Bake at 300 degrees for about an hour.

Holiday simmering potpourri
3 cinnamon sticks
3 bay leaves
1/4 cup whole cloves
1 teaspoon ground cloves
Handful of dried lemon slices with peel
Handful of dried orange slices with peel
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

Mix all ingredients and store in Ziploc or airtight container. I’d use 1/3 mixture at a time (making sure I get one cinnamon stick and one bay leaf). Place your potpourri–along with about a quart of water–in a medium saucepan or slow cooker. Simmer on low heat, adding water as needed.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Do you drink this? Or is it just for the lovely scent?