Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Snog me..I'm Irish!

St. Patrick's Day Slang.

You know that they say everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day...now it's about high time that you started talking like an authentic Irish person. The guy next to you at the pub may be faking a accent like he's Lucky the Leprechaun, but if you throw out some of these key words and phrases you'll sound like the real deal.



Ask me arse (v)(rhetorical): What do you take me for, an idiot? (usage) "Lend you a fiver? Go and ask me arse!"

Bags (n): A botched job. (usage) "The hairdresser made a right bags of me perm."

Black Stuff (n): Stout. (usage) "Nine pints of the black stuff and a gin and tonic please"

Doss (on the) (n): Failure to attend work/school during specified hours. (usage) "I swear I wasn't on the doss. I really did have the mumps yesterday."

Fluthered (adj): Very drunk. (synonyms are Bollixed, Gee-eye, Langered, Ossifed, Paralytic, and Rat-Arsed)

Ganky (adj): Repulsive or ugly.

Holy Joe (n): Self-righteous, sanctimonious, hypocrite.

Jacks (n): Toilet, restroom.

Jar (n): Pint of beer or stout. (usage) "I'm dying for a jar so I'm leaving at 11 to have a liquid lunch."

Kip (n): Bed. (usage) "I stayed in my kip until lunchtime."

Manky (adj): Disgustingly filthy. (usage) "The jacks at the petrol station was manky."

Mot (n): Girlfriend

Nip (in the) (adj): Nude. Naked.

Rapid (adj): Great. Fantastic. Amazing.

Spondulicks or Spondooleys (n): Money.

Shrapnel (n): Coins. Lots of change.

Shower of Savages (expression): Loud, ignorant, unsophisticated crowd of people. (usage) "We are bound to look like a shower of savages by the end of the night, but I have lots of spondulicks and I'm dying for a ton of the black stuff."

All words and phrases were from our Irish friends or "The book of feckin' Irish Slang that's great craic for cute hoors and bowsies" by Murphy/O'Dea.

2 comments:

The Gearys said...

I will make sure to use at least 3 of the above:-)

Cathal Moore said...

As an "Authentic Irish Person" (directly from Carrick-On-Shannon, Co. Leitrim I have to say tanks (thanks) for reminding me of my roots! I love it and absolutely love your blog!

My wife's site is:
www.blueberrybaskets.com and she is from Gorey, Co. Wexford, Ireland

Regards, Cathal Moore
www.moorepahire.com